Saturday 6 April 2013

Is first impression TRULY the best impression?

I'm sure many people will have different views on this topic, but a blog is about one's own opinions (DUH), so I'm going to be writing about what I personally think. I'm also pretty sure that I'm right (tee hee)...

And my answer to 'Is first impression truly the best impression?' is NO.



I have reasons of my own to defend my answer which will explain as to why I thinks so.


Firstly, the first impression that we have of a person could be anytime, maybe when the person is in a really awkward situation, bad mood, maybe when they're really mad or maybe when they're really sad. Basically, they're in situations where they might not be on their best behavior. And it's pathetic judging someone when he/she is not what he/she is like usually... What if someone did that to you?


Secondly, on a first meeting, people are not very likely to give away what they actually are like. 

When you think about it, would you really judge a person based on your first impression about them even after you see  how different he/she is in your next meetings with them? I don't think so.

Thirdly, what if the person changed after the first time you met him/her? The person might have become better/worse, maybe due to some experiences which he/she had. It would seem really stupid of us to consider first impressions in those cases. 


Another reason why I don't think first impressions work is because one might end up hurting someone because of them. Sometimes, we do hurt people unintentionally. We might blurt out what our first impression on someone is ( by mistake, of course) and if the person in question gets to know about it, he/she might get really hurt. And we would seem like the bad ones if the person isn't actually like that!! 


A lot of people who did not know me well enough and had formed an opinion about me thought I was extremely rude and had loads of attitude. But actually, I'm just not comfortable meeting new people. But now, those very people are my closest buddies. 

Ironically, people whom I liked and trusted from the very beginning turned out to be the bad ones, those who might adore you when you're around and badmouth you in public. All this did hurt me a lot but now I'm over it and usually don't make opinions on people very soon.

When I meet someone I don't know, I usually don't have any impression about them, maybe because I think that I'm never going to meet them, or because I don't have the time to form any opinions about them in my mind, and sometimes just because I don't want to repeat my mistakes. Sometimes, in first meetings, when I've spent enough time with the person that I can judge him/her, I do form opinions (it's human nature), but I also tell myself that the person might be completely different from what I'm thinking. In this way, I'm free of guilt. 


Yes, there might be times when first impressions count, maybe when you're giving an interview and need to be as amiable as possible. And I'd totally encourage you to do that. But in situations where all this isn't important, and you weren't your usual self, don't worry! Because:


1) You might not meet those people ever again, so WHO CARES! They're very likely to forget you!(If that's what worries you)

2) You might meet them enough times to prove that you're actually a whole lot better than what they thought.
3) They might still have the same impression of you after a lot of meetings, but those sort of people aren't WORTH IT!

You might also want to be careful while judging people the first time you meet them, because you don't want someone to do the same thing with you!


Thank you for reading! HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!


MELEAGRIS


P.S Do follow ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment