Tuesday 25 June 2013

Why reading books based on episodes of TV series is a bad idea

Hello people of the world! Good to have you here!

Just yesterday, since I had nothing productive to do, and every single drop of blood in my body was pleading with me to read a book, I grabbed the book closest to me and began to read. Usually, I don't choose what to read, because the act of reading itself is highly pleasurable to me. It's not that I fail to find faults with books, I do, but I also make it a point to find a reason to complete a book. And usually, finding that one reason is not difficult, UNTIL......

I just decided to go ahead and read this book, although the cover looked too fancy and immature for my taste, but as they say, "Don't judge a book by its cover", I opened it. I remember that it was a Hannah Montana book ( I know, don't roll your eyes at me. Boredom led me to this offensive deed). I don't remember the name of the episode it was based on though, which is proof enough that I regret that half hour of my life that I wasted on the book.

Firstly, the book had medium-sized font and was about 50 pages, so you can make a wild guess about the amount of matter present in the book. What made it worse was that the whole book was basically a written update on the episode. You might as well have watched the episode which would have at the least managed to get a few laughs out of you. The book copied all the matter in the episode, not adding anything of its own, and hence, turning out to be highly vague and ineffective.

A good book, however small, should be relatable, have a wee bit of emotions, be descriptive and most importantly, be able to have an impact on the reader. This book did manage to have an impact on me, I was itching to throw it away. But I still kept reading, waiting for that one reason that would help me stop regretting reading this book. 

Coming to imagination, it had no scope for it because it practically dictated everything in the episode. The book is entirely made up of dialogues, with very little to describe the scene or the character of the people involved. The reader should be able to imagine the scene live, right in front of his/her eyes, but here, only dialogues were mentioned, trying to get you to laugh, but failing miserably, because DUH, your imagination has gone for a toss and taken away your funny bone with it. 

Next, It kept changing scenes randomly, so the reader does not even have the time to connect with the character.

And without much of an explanation, it comes to the ending scene, the scene where the message comes out. I vaguely remember that the whole point of the book was to bring forward a message, that" looks do not matter". Now, if the message was addressed with efficiency, the time wasted on the book would probably be worth it, but here's the spoiler, IT'S NOT. The process of getting to the highly awaited message was so random, that the message itself feels meaningless. 

And you have to admit, sheepishly, that a written play would have been far better than this piece of literature, because there, at least the scene is described effectively, telling you where the props are kept and when someone coughs, so your imagination is taken care of.

To all the authors who are jobless enough to write a book based on a movie or TV series, please DON'T. You're wasting your talent and time, and getting into a fruitless war with us.

Oh God! -_- Give me a movie based on a book any day!

MELEAGRIS
FLAMMABLEFLUID 

No comments:

Post a Comment